What is a Neck Lift?
A neck lift is a surgical procedure that improves visible signs of aging in the jawline and neck, such as:
- Excess fat and lax skin in the lower face that creates jowls
- Excess fatty deposits under the chin
- Loose neck skin
- Muscle banding in the neck which creates abnormal contours
The loss of youthful contours in the face and neck can be due to a variety of factors, including genetics, environmental conditions, and stress.
Some people feel they are not ready for a full facelift because the upper face is still pleasing. However, many patients will note excess wrinkling of the neck skin, a “turkey wattle” or double chin, and jowl lines.
When the neck area doesn’t match the upper facial appearance, a neck lift performed by double-board certified facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Stephen Weber may be a good solution.
Neck Lift Candidates
In general, good candidates for a neck lift are:
- Healthy individuals who do not have medical conditions that impair healing
- Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic expectations
Considerations & goals with neck lift surgery:
- Reduces or removes a “turkey neck” by removing excess, sagging skin
- Smoothes out wrinkles and creases throughout the neck
- Improves the appearance of vertical neck bands
- Results are abiding and will age naturally with a patient
- Can be combined with a facelift for more comprehensive facial rejuvenation
Neck Lift Recovery
Recovery time after a neck lift will depend on the individual, as well as the extent of surgery. Typically, patients return to daily activities including a return to work within two weeks after surgery. Expect your neck to feel tight for a few weeks, and know that bruising and swelling are normal. These effects should subside gradually, with visible bruising typically gone after the first week, and that “tight” feeling remaining for up to several months. Your cosmetic surgeon will provide you with detailed instructions for recovery and aftercare.
I initially wanted my eyelids done and liposuction for my turkey neck. Dr. Weber explained that a chin implant would also help my neckline (I never have had much of a chin) and showed what this would look like by photoshoping my before surgery photos. I also wanted my tired eyes improved.
I had wanted neck liposuction to get rid of my...
I had wanted neck liposuction to get rid of my turkey neck. I also have a week chin. Dr. Weber explained that the chin implant combined with the neck liposuction would help my neckline look even better. I was also didn't like my droopy upper eyelids and bags in my lower eyelids.
* Each patient is unique and individual results may vary.